Monday, February 18, 2013

Lasagna

Sauce Ingredients:
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1 lb ground breakfast sausage
2 cloves garlic
1 medium onion, diced (optional)
1 12 oz can tomato paste
2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
2 T dried parsley
2 T dried basil
1 t salt
1 T brown sugar or brown sugar substitute

Sauce Directions:
Brown beef and sausage with onions and garlic. Drain off grease.
Add tomatoes and tomato paste and seasonings. 
Let simmer uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
*I put my tomatoes in the food processor because my husband doesn't like chunks of tomatoes. I know, I spoil him.
Meanwhile, while sauce is simmering, bring a pot of water to a boil. I put some olive oil and salt in the water to keep the noodles from sticking.

Filling Ingredients:
16 oz cottage cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
2 eggs

Filling Directions:
My husband cannot stand cottage cheese, so I put in the food processor.  It's a texture thing. Add parmesan cheese and 2 eggs to cottage cheese and blend. Set aside.

Other Ingredients:
8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
16 oz shredded italian blend cheese
*You can use any combination of cheese. Sometimes I will use cheddar and mozzarella or all mozzarella. I also like to use monterey jack. It just depends on what I have in the fridge.

1 box lasagna noodles (regular or gluten free)

Assembly...
*Set aside 1 cup of sauce for the top of the lasagna.
Put 1 cup of sauce on the bottom of a 13x9" pan.
Then add a layer of noodles.
Then add 1/2 of the cheese/egg mixture.
Then add mozzarella cheese.
Then add 1/2 of the remaining sauce.
Then add another layer of noodles, the remaining cheese/egg mixture and half of the italian blend cheese.
Then add second half of sauce. Then add another layer of noodles.
Then add 1 cup of sauce that you had set aside and the remaining italian cheese.

You can refrigerate until later or put directly into a 350 degree oven.
Bake for 45 - 50 minutes, covered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment